AirWatch is one of the popular mobile device management (MDM) solutions available for enterprises. It enables the complete management of employee mobile devices through several features such as:
• Policy Management
• Browsing Management
• Application Management
• Device Monitoring
• Location Reporting and Tracking
• Remote Configuration
In this article, you will learn everything there is to distributing Miracle Mobile App with AirWatch.
AirWatch Application Types and Their Supported Platforms
You can upload applications based on AirWatch's classifications: internal, public, purchased, and web.
AirWatch supports many platforms and operating systems for most application types. The following table shows which platform and OS versions AirWatch supports for each application type:
Industry Templates Any Supported App Type
Apple iOS v7.0+ with limitations for compliance policies
Public (Free and Paid)
AirWatch can manage free public applications on Windows 10+ devices when integrated with the Microsoft Store for Business
Purchased – Custom B2B
Purchased – VPP
Volume Purchase Program (VPP)
Unique to Apple, the Volume Purchase Program (VPP) allows businesses to purchase publicly available iOS applications, or specifically developed third-party iOS applications in bulk for distribution to corporate devices.
To begin, enterprises need to set up a VPP Business Account. Once Apple verifies that information as part of the enrollment process, you can create a special Apple ID for your organization.
Unlike personal Apple IDs that are used for almost every interaction with Apple, this ID is specific to your VPP membership. It is designed solely for purchasing content for distribution, and facilitating the distribution of custom business-to-business apps.
To register for Apple VPP, head to http://www.apple.com/business/vpp/ for Business, and enter the following requirements:
- The enterprise's Dun & Bradstreet (D-U-N-S) number
- Its address, contact number and email address
- Tax registration information as per the geographical location where your institution or enterprise is located
Your enrollment will be complete after Apple reviews and validates the information you share, and the Apple ID created is used to access the VPP account.
To begin purchasing apps and books from the VPP store, follow these steps:
- Navigate to https://vpp.itunes.apple.com/us/store.
- Log in with the VPP Apple ID created during the enrollment process.
- Search for an app or book in the VPP store.
- Once you find what you seek, enter a quantity for your purchase.
- Select the distribution method to assign, revoke, and reassign the apps through the MDM.
- Complete the transaction using a corporate credit card.
- Download the Redemption Code spreadsheet or the Authentication Tokens from the VPP website.
Enabling and Uploading Paid Public iOS Apps to the Console
You need to first enable the deployment of paid public iOS applications in the AirWatch Console. After that, upload the paid public iOS application from the app store to the AirWatch Console to make it available in the AirWatch Catalog.
How to Enable Deployment
Here are the steps you need to follow to carry out this process:
- Navigate to Groups & Settings > All Settings > Apps > Workspace ONE > Paid Public Application.
- Select Enabled, and then save the settings.
How to Upload the App
Follow these steps to upload the app to the store:
- Navigate to Apps & Books > Applications > Native > Public, and select Add Application.
- Select Managed By to view the organization group from which the application uploads.
- Select the platform.
- Enter a keyword in the Name text box to find the application in the app store.
- Select Next and use Select to pick the application from the app store result page.
- Configure options on the Details tab. Entering data on this tab is optional, but you can record data like the store URL for the application, supported models, and associated categories.
- Select Save & Assign to make the application available to end-users.
- Configure flexible deployment rules for the assignment of applications.
Need more help? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.